Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not What I was Hoping to Hear

Well, first of all in good news, I am only a few days away from starting my 3rd trimester. I'm 27 weeks and my belly really seems to be growing. Baby has definitely stepped it up a notch with her movement lately too. The last several days she has been very active throughout the whole day on and off. Yesterday, Uncle Jared got to feel her move for the first time! :) At my doctor's appointment today, I heard a nice strong heartbeat which is always music to my ears. She moves a lot when they take the doppler off my belly....I think it scares her or something from the noise of it. I'm right on track for gaining weight too. Really overall, I feel great.
So now for the bad news....

I am anemic. I was borderline in my first trimester when they tested me, so I guess I'm not totally surprised that the retest last week showed that I am. Most women revert back to normal after delivery, so hopefully that will be the case. I have to start taking an iron supplement, which in itself isn't bad, but the digestional side effects aren't always so pleasant. Yuck!

I also failed my one hour glucose test. She said my sugar was 176 and normal is 140s. It doesn't mean that I definitely have gestational diabetes, and there are several factors as to why I could have failed. SO, now I have to go spend 1/2 day in the lab and do a 3 hour fasting glucose test. Meaning... I can't eat/drink 10-12 hours before the test, I have to drink that fruit punch elixir again, and then they take blood after 3 hours and I can't leave the lab the entire time. Awesome, right? Well, the good thing is only 2-5% of women who fail the first one end up actually having GD. Hopefully I won't fall in that category, but we'll see.

I will leave this on one good note, Dr. Hoover did say she thought it would be appropriate for me to have 8 weeks off after delivery. That was wonderful news. I have been stressing a little about getting baby girl on a schedule for my return to work and plus with my job demands, she did feel that it would be an okay option. Yeah!

I officially start going to the doctor every two weeks until 36 weeks now. I'll know the results of my GTT at the next appointment. Your prayers are appreciated and coveted!

Have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the good stuff!

    I,too, failed my 1 hr. At my 3 hour appointment, I got my blood checked at 8:00 drank the sugar drink at 8:10, had my blood checked at 9:10 and got to go home! PASS! I know how you feel--scared, worried, anxious! But like you said, 2-5% is a small number, and I'm sure you're not going to be one of those few!

    My prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also failed my one hour test when I was pregnant with Josh. the longer test came back OK. Praying that yours will too! Laura

    ReplyDelete