Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, October 19, 2009

Avery is 2 weeks old!

Wow, time goes so fast. I can't believe my little one is two weeks old already. She went for her two week check-up today. All her reflexes were totally normal. She is also up to 7lb 4oz, which is just 3oz short of her birth weight. She should have no problem gaining that in the next few days.

Avery has been cluster feeding the last two nights. My understanding is that often happens when the baby is getting ready to go through a growth spurt. It is NOT supposed to mean that I am not producing enough milk or that she isn't getting enough. It's just a marathon session of nursing where Avery keeps Mommy up all night. Haha! The doctor told me that I absolutely should NOT let her do this because I will become one big human pacifier and I will never be able to do anything without her needing to suckle. I will never sleep and it's a terrible habit. Everthing I read suggests it is just a phase of a few days and then they go back on schedule. Nathan and I are heavily considering finding a new pediatrician for Avery.... one that is a little more breastfeeding friendly and doesn't treat us like idiots every time we are there.

She is supposed to go back in 6 weeks and she gets her immunizations at that time. I don't want to see my baby get her shots! Nathan's parents left to go home today, so Nathan, Avery and I are spending the first night in our home just the three of us. Tomorrow, it's just Avery and I! Hopefully all will go well tonight, and we'll get some sleep and have a good day tomorrow.

I will try to download some more pictures soon. Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. We did lots of cluster feeding, but we were told it was totally normal. I guess I did become Drew's pacifier for a while, but it worked out just fine in the end. And you know what? It's nice to ALWAYS have something on hand that will calm a screaming/hurting/tired baby! I don't blame you for wanting to look into another pedi-especially if you're going to breastfeed longer than 6 weeks. You'll want someone to support you through the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We feed Caroline when she's hungry - whether it's every 30 minutes or 3 hours. If it helps at all, we give Caroline a paci and in all honesty (it has it's pros and cons) it's so nice to have something that will calm her in public places besides whipping my boob out. Especially in church! Ha! If you become her paci and don't WANT to be, you can try one. Either way, I agree that you might want to look into another pedi. Seems like you've had lots of problems with them. Have a good day tomorrow! I was excited when I got to spend my first day with Caroline by ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete