Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, October 12, 2009

Frustrated

Today we went for Avery's one week weight check. I wasn't totally sure what to expect since she has really only had two good days of eating "the good stuff." So we went and she had lost 6 ounces since leaving the hosptial. The nurse was extremely rude to me and acted like I was an absolutely idiot about how I should feed my baby (I'll admit I don't know everything) and said she just wasn't happy and we needed to wait to see the doctor. So the doctor came in and the nurse had misrepresented several things I had told her. Once the doctor understood everything about how our feedings have gone over the last week, she said "Well it seems like you are on the right track now, which is good because I was on the fence about admitting her to the hospital." My jaw almost hit the floor! I was so irritated.

My take is this: Come on, I'm a first time mom, this is my first baby and I'm doing this all for the first time. Can you expect me to know everything? If I'm not doing something right, explain it to me...educate me. Don't be rude, treat me like I'm retarded, and tell me you might put my baby in the hospital. Let's just say that for most of the rest of the day, I have been pretty emotional. I have to take her back in Wednesday to be weighed again and have to follow the doctor's specific orders about breastfeeding. Hopefully she will have gained a few ounces and we'll be totally worry free. I had better not have that rude nurse again or I think I might mention my displeasure... and I probably will anyway when I meet with the doctor again next Monday.

I have had the hardest time letting Avery out of my sight or not holding her constantly today. I feel so protective of her, and pretty offended that someone would imply that I might not be taking care of my baby. I love her so much and I am doing the best I can! My discharge instructions said as long as I feed her, change her, bathe her and love her, that I'm a good mother. Not that I doubt it, but I am so frustrated!!!!

Nathan is going back to work in the morning and he is having a really hard time with it. He doesn't want to leave her either. His mom is here staying with us through the rest of the week and helping me out, so I fortunately won't be totally alone and I might still get some sleep in the mornings. Anyway, just wanted to vent. Tomorrow will be better!

4 comments:

  1. Koren - I feel your pain! I had a very similar experience, except it was in the hospital instead of the pediatrician's office. VERY similar experience! Whatever you do, do not get down on yourself. You're a GREAT mother...and breastfeeding is one of the best things that you can do for her. Just feed her as often as possible, even waking her for feedings if you have to! Feel free to email me at kacieadavis@gmail.com if you want to talk! I know EXACTLY how you're feeling right now! You're being a good Mommy - don't let anyone tell you any different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping Kacie was the comment I'd seen on here. They belittled her in the hospital, mainly about breastfeeding and how she was doing a terrible job, etc. They kept pushing formula every 30 minutes! Formula is fine if that's what mom wants; if mom wants to breastfeed, then those people need to hush!!! It's normal for them to lose a few ounces and since your milk JUST came in, she'll catch up. You're doing a GREAT job. You're in a minority here and most healthcare professionals (unless they've breastfed) are actually in the dark about breastfeeding because it's SO different than formula fed babies! Also, make sure they're basing her weight on breastfed babies' charts instead of formula fed charts! Keep your chin up! You're doing the RIGHT thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey friend! It sounds like you are doing a great job with Avery and you are an excellent Mommy. SAME thing happened with Jace.... he lost a few ounces at his first visit but fortunately for me, there was no freak out! That happens!!! It sounds like you are doing a great job and committed to breastfeeding her--don't give up! Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments gals...they are very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete